The following values serve as guiding principles when making grant decisions:
- Spur Innovation: bi3 will support new and innovative approaches to address community health issues. Developing leadership and supporting capacity building is a key element to sparking innovation.
- Support Transformation: bi3 seeks to be a catalyst for breakthrough change and transformational impact. Transformational projects aim to change existing cultures and systems to implement innovative and successful practices and sustain positive outcomes.
- Focus on the Triple Aim, with an Emphasis on Population Health: bi3 seeks to improve the health care system by funding projects that provide better care for patients, improve health and lower the cost of care. bi3 places particular importance on finding sustainable ways to improve population health, and addressing the drivers of health that reside outside the walls of the hospital. bi3 hopes its investments will help TriHealth and other community partners transition to a value-based, more affordable healthcare delivery system.
- Achieve Health Equity for All: Initiatives supported by bi3 should seek to achieve health equity through addressing the social determinants of health and health disparities for underserved populations. These efforts will not only focus on communities in need but on the entire population of our community in order to support population health goals.
- Seek Alignment and Build Partnerships: bi3 projects will align with community health care goals and initiatives, and support collaboration and partnership across the community. bi3 seeks to build partnerships within TriHealth and between TriHealth and community partners.
- Support the Grantmaking Life Cycle: bi3 will provide grantmaking resources to projects in various phases of development including: a) planning, research and development; b) piloting or building proof of concept; c) expanding scale and replicating successful practices and; d) supporting projects to achieve sustainability in service delivery and/or systems change.
- Provide Accountability and Partnership: bi3 will invest in grantees that demonstrate the capacity to deliver successful programs and services, engage in evaluation, have strong management teams, and are fiscally sound and financially diverse. Funded partners will meet all grant monitoring and reporting requirements. In turn, bi3 will provide support and technical assistance to evaluate and communicate project results and lessons learned. As an invested partner, bi3 will work collaboratively with grantees to develop sustainability plans, address unexpected risks, and refresh performance plans based on interim results.
- Emphasize Learning and Dissemination: bi3 will support funded partners in identifying key learnings and ongoing improvement opportunities and will identify its own lessons learned through its role as a philanthropic partner. Where appropriate, findings will be shared with a variety of audiences to spark conversation and action in other sectors and communities.